Dr. Khaled Attia has over 20 years of experience in the legal field. Dr. Attia joined Sarie-Eldin & Partners Law Firm (SE&P) in February 2010. He is the partner responsible for Litigation & Arbitration Department, as well as, the Public Private Partnership (PPP) and Competition matters. Dr. Attia is a registered arbitrator in the Cairo Regional Center for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA), the Dubai International Arbitration Center (DIAC) and the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA). He is also a registered mediator at the Investment Dispute Resolution Center in the General Authority for Investment and Free Zones in Egypt (GAFI).
Before joining SE&P Dr. Attia was the Executive Director of the Egyptian Competition Authority. He assumed office in January 2006 until January 2010. Dr. Attia was also a Commissioner in the COMESA Competition Commission until December 2010, and he is currently the chairperson of the Egyptian Association for the Protection of Competition.
Dr. Attia represented Egypt in several international occasions, including the meetings of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) concerning the drafting and adoption of regional competition rules and regulations. In addition, he represented Egypt in the Euro-Med meetings on Competition Law and Policy.
From the year 2000 throughout 2006, Dr. Attia had worked as a Chief Prosecutor in the Office of the Prosecutor General of Egypt, Office for International Cooperation. During that time he worked as a part time Legal Advisor to the Minister of Trade (2000-2004) and to the Minister of Finance (2004-2006). He participated in the drafting of several laws and regulations such as the Specialized Economic Zones Law, the Competition law and its Executive Regulations, the PPP law and its Executive Regulations, the Income Tax Law and the Micro Small and Small Enterprises Law.
Dr. Attia obtained his PhD in international law in 2005 from Ain Shams University and an LLM in international human rights law in 1999 from University of Essex, UK. He is also a visiting professor on international Business Law at Nile University.
- February 2010: Partner, Sarie-Eldin & Partners
- 2006 – 2010: Executive Director of the Egyptian Competition Authority
- 2000 – 2006: Chief Prosecutor in the Office at the Prosecutor General of Egypt, Office for International Corporation
- 2004 – 2006: Legal Advisor to the Minister of Finance
- 2000 – 2004: Legal Advisor to the Minister of Foreign Trade
- 2015 – 2016: National Expert to the Public Private Partnership Central Unit (PPPCU) under the Ministry of Finance to train PPP units under line ministries (11 ministries) in Egypt.
- 2015: Legal Advisor to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) on drafting a concept paper and introducing a draft law regulating the irregular migration to Egypt.
- 2014 – 2015: Senior Policy Advisor to the Social Fund for Development (SFD) on Legal and Regulatory Reform.
- 2012: Contractor for International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA) on drafting a chapter in the Egyptian Constitution Handbook.
- 2006 – 2008: National Expert to the project on the Modernization of Public Prosecution Offices in the Arab States, United Nations Development Program
- March – May 2006: National Expert for the International Development Research Center (IDRC) on Parliamentary Cooperation and Assistance Program
- 2003 – 2004: Lecturer at the Suez Canal University, Faculty of Commerce, English Section Ismailia Branch Egypt
- April - May 2003: National Consultant for the Common Market for Eastern and South African (COMESA) on Competition Policy
- 1995 – 2000: Public Prosecutor in several prosecution departments in Cairo Districts, incl. Al-Daher, Al Wayli, Al Sharbia and Al Zawia Al Hamra Prosecution Depts.
- 2005: PhD in international law, the thesis entitled “The Right of Individuals to Freedom of Movement across Borders and Its International Protection”, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt.
- 1999: LL.M. of International Human Rights Law, Law Dept. & Human Rights Center, University of Essex, UK.
- 1995: Diploma in Public International Law, Ain Shams University, Cairo.
- 1994: Diploma in Public Law, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt.
- 1993: License of Law, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt.
- Cartels Enforcement in Egypt, (English, 2013)
- Arbitration Clause in Administrative Contracts (Arabic, 2013)
- Economic aspects of the Egyptian Constitution, (Arabic, 2012)
- The Law-Making process of Economic Laws in Egypt, (Arabic, English 2006)
- Alternative Sanctions That May Be Applied in the Written Guilt Plea System, (Arabic, 2003)
- Towards a Regional Competition Policy “The COMESA Experience” (Arabic, 2002).
- Capacity Building for Effective Implementation of Competition Policy (English, 2002).
- The Egyptian Judicial System, An Overview (English, 2001).
- Freedom of Movement Across Borders: The Compliance of Egyptian Laws with the International Standards as Provided for in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (English, 1999).
- The Right to Seek Asylum: A Comparative Study Between Islamic Shari’a and International Law (Arabic, 1998).